2 weeks ago, I decided to attempt to save some money on my groceries. You can see how I went with Week 1 here, and now, I’m doing a Week 2 progress report. Who knew we had that much food in the pantry and freezer!!!!
Money Spent: I took out $180 (my usual budget) and have only used cash.
- 3x 3L Milk – $9.00
- Hot Roast Chook – $8.00
- 4x Tins Dog Food – $9.60
- 850g Green Apples – $4.90
- 500g Cheerio’s (Frankfurters) – $3.50
- 2kg of Chicken Drumsticks – $6.35
- 500g Beef Mince – $4.00
- Cornflakes (Coles Brand) – $1.80
- Nurtigrain – $3.70 (half price)
- 1.4kg Weet-bix – $4.50
- 1x Box Macaroni Cheese – $2.90
- Box of 24 Water Ice Blocks – $2.80
- Box of 8 Lemonade Ice Blocks – $2.70
- 12 pack of Chocolate yoghurt – $4.80
- 5x Yoghurts for lunch boxes – $3.75
- 1kg Carrots – $2.00
- 1.4kg Royal Gala Apples – $3.82
- 1kg Granny Smith Apples – $4.27
- 700g Tomatos – $4.27
- 2x Cucumbers – $5.00
- Smooth Peanut Butter – $5.68
- 1x Loaf of Bread – $3.00
- 12 Eggs – $3.00 (we usually don’t buy eggs as we have chooks, but I needed to make some cupcakes for the class for a friend)
TOTAL SPENT: $103.35
As you can tell, I’ve started running out of things, so needed to stock up a little. My biggest expense this week was an Apple Slinky Machine. My kids go CRAZY over the apple slinky’s from the school tuck shop, therefore it’s worth it financially for this expense. Plus I saved this amount of money from groceries last week.
- Hot Chicken & Macaroni Cheese – hubby & I had a date night / late Valentines Day Dinner Event and left the kids home with my 90 year old nan. We wanted something quick and easy for her to give to the kids that I knew they would eat without any fuss. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
- I gave 1/4 of the pumpkin from last week to a friend, and then used the remaining pumpkin for Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup. Yum. Also found 4 mini bread rolls in the freezer so had them with the soup. Again, this was 2 nights worth of dinner.
- We had extra kids over one night, so we used the chicken drumsticks, but it only lasted us 2 meals instead of the 3-4 I was expecting, but that’s ok.
- Hot Chook & salad rolls.
Food Wasted/Thrown Out: This week I come across an old packet of cranberry and nut mix in the pantry. Was fairly out of date and the nuts weren’t the right colour any more. Feeling a bit wasteful right now!
This Week’s Amazing Discovery: Room in my Freezer and pantry. I also discovered some choc mud scones in the freezer, so a morning or afternoon treat for myself coming right up 😉
Did you attempt this challenge? If so, did you make it to week 2? If not, are you inspired to try? Next week most likely won’t be the same, as I am starting to run low on things, but I’m hoping this changes my shopping outlook and moving forward allows me to allocate an extra $80/week elsewhere in the budget!!! Looking forward to next week.